Today I read an article from Las Vegas, Nevada. The article discussed how the recession has caused many teens to be kicked out of their house. There are homeless shelters to help these teens, but many don't seek these shelters. Many of the girls become desperate and try prostitution or resort to "survival sex". Tim Mullin with the Nevada Partnership for Homeless Youth said that "many kids, sometimes as young as 13, have similar stories-dad lost his job, the family moved from a house to an apartment and parents tell kids they simply can't afford them." The number of homeless teens has greatly increased in the past 5 years or so and is now around 200,000. This is a tragedy in America. No one should be homeless, especially teenagers. Teens are so young and they shouldn't have to experience this type of life at such a young age. Hopefully being homeless will give them a great desire to better their lives and make something incredible of themselves. What angers me is the fact that I read another article today stating that 3 of Hitler's cars were on sale for $3 million each! If someone can not only afford to pay $3 million for a car, but is willing to pay that much, they should be ashamed at a time like this. I understand having a hobby, but there are so many better uses of this money. When there are less people living on the street or less people in poverty, then spending $3 million on a car might be considered ok (although there are so many other things to donate to like cancer or AIDS research....it never ends). People have such a skewed view on the world especially if they're not the ones suffering...and obviously this makes me ANGRY! Maybe if I hadn't read these two articles on the same day I wouldn't have such a sour attitude...but it's too late now. I know some people have the mindset that those who are homeless chose to be that way because they didn't try hard enough or get another job. I won't go into that argument here, but I will argue that this is not the case for these teens. They didn't choose for their parents to kick them out so I believe it's our responsibility, as a nation, to provide as much aid and help as we can. If you would like to read the article about homeless teens here's the link www.lasvegasnow.com/global/story.asp?s=11395817
Wednesday, October 28, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment