Today I'm just going to gripe about a situation I was in a few weekends ago. I went to Dallas with some friends of mine one weekend in October. We were having a great time and just driving around Dallas. As we were trying to find the restaurant we had reservations for, we drove under a bridge that had a few homeless people laying underneath it. My heart broke for these people. One of my friends looked away in disgust and said she couldn't believe that people would choose to live like that. I was furious with her because how could she say anything that harsh about people she didn't even know. I asked her how she knew that those people chose to be homeless. She stated that anyone who is homeless chose to be that way because they weren't proactive about maintaining a good lifestyle. Anger started to rise up inside of me because of her ignorance. Yes, some people become impoverished and homeless because they do nothing to fix their problems. However, just like any situation, sometimes things are out of our control. These people may have lost their job, couldn't find another one (which is very likely because I have a friend with a college degree that hasn't been able to find a job in a long time), and they may have lost all their possessions because they couldn't afford them. They might have lost their place of residence because they couldn't afford it with no job, and they may not have had anyone to stay with after losing everything. There are so many factors that she chose to ignore. I can't say this for sure, but she probably doesn't realize how hard her parents work to provide everything for her. I bet the homeless people that we saw would love to live my friend's life. She should be more grateful of what she has, because she never knows when it could all be taken away.
Thursday, November 5, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
That's definitely really really true. There is an element of personal action that can turn your life for the worst though (like gambling all your money away, things like that). However, more often than not, poverty is not a choice like you said. Sometimes things just happen and you simply can't do anything about it.
ReplyDeleteIt's too bad people don't often realize that the person on the side of the road or under bridges could almost just as easily be them.