Ok, i know I've done a lot of posts about homelessness, so this will be one of the last ones...I promise! I read a very short article about the homeless shelters running out of beds very quickly in Santa Cruz California. As the weather turns colder, more homeless people will be looking toward shelters in order to stay out of the cold. Santa Cruz County says that it only has 800 beds for the 2,200 homeless people that will need somewhere to stay. Due to the lack of beds, obviously many people will remain on the streets in the cold. The shelters say they have programs in place that will aid people in finding jobs and permanent places of residence before the weather gets too cold. I'm not sure how cold it gets in Santa Cruz, but I know that I would never be able to tough out many nights, let alone one night, in the cold weather of College Station. I fear that this problem in California is also a rising problem all over the nation. I couldn't imagine having to spend the night out on the streets during the winter in a place such as Boston or New York. It's so good that these shelters are trying to help people find places to live, therefore opening up beds for those who are unable to find other places. Hopefully other shelters around the nation are implementing programs like this. Cold weather is here, these people need a solution now because the weather will only get colder. If you'd like to read the full article, click on this link. www.ksbw.com/news/21827758/detail.html
Friday, December 4, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment