Monday, December 14, 2009

Peace

I know I've talked a lot about getting involved, but I find this so important that I'm going to stress it again. Right now I'll discuss the Peace Corps. The Peace Corps is an organization that takes volunteers around the world to help on issues such as technology, AIDS, and environmental preservation. They can educate people in different countries about the dangers of poor water sanitation and malnutrition (both causes of poverty, and both of which lead to disease and death if untreated). They may dig water wells or build sanitary bathrooms, and then they teach the local people about how to safely maintain these structures. Volunteers can also teach farmers how to increase their yield while protecting the land, and therefore allowing the farmers to reuse the land for a longer period of time. Nearly half of all volunteers will also support food security through various projects. Such projects include building gardens and educating locals on good nutrition. These are just a few ways in which volunteers help out, there are many other categories that are involved in community development and business. In my previous post I discussed how America is far behind in the goal to help end world poverty, however the peace corps is a way in which America gives back. If you are interested in volunteering for the Peace Corps, which I definitely am, I suggest you do some research and talk to a Peace Corps recruiter. The different programs require specific skills or background knowledge, so it's helpful to talk to a recruiter to determine what program you're qualified for.

No comments:

Post a Comment